Karnataka came from two Kannada words karu nadu meaning elevated or exalted land.
Come to Bandipur to get enraptured by the King of the Jungle – the proud tiger prowling freely. The majestic and alluring Western Ghats has the highest water falls in India, the Kunchikal falls; 1493 ft (tiered water falls) and the world-famous Jog falls 890 ft near Sagar, Shimoga. Karnataka is the home for rich spices – cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg and precious coffee – Arabica & Robusta. Move on for sun, sand and surf on the 320 kms of coastline on the Arabian sea. Close to nature- yet not too far from creature comforts. A land of rich folklore and kingdoms – the Mysore maharajas; the Vijayanagara kings, the Bahamani Sultans, the Badami Chalukyas, the famous female warrior ruler Rani Chennamma of Kittur.
The advent of the Europeans brought sweeping changes. John Hands (William Carey of Karnataka) came to Bellary during 1810 who was the first to translate the Bible into Kannada, started the Bellary Mission Press, the first printing press in Karnataka; the first Kannada newspaper “Samachar”, prepared a dictionary, schools and churches. Rev Thomas Hodson (Hudson) is another legend who is remembered by Karnataka with the busy Hudson Circle and Hudson Church in Bengaluru, named after him. The Kannada is the official language with Tulu, Konkani and Urdu being the other major languages. There are 50 tribal languages and all the languages of the Indian union are freely spoken in Karnataka – brining it the adage “
Bengaluru the capital city is known as the Garden City of India & Silicon Valley of India. With a population of 11,440,030 million, it is the fifth most populous urban agglomeration in India. Bengaluru is also the science city of India. Sir C V Raman discovered the “Raman Effect” here.
UESI began in 1954 at Katpadi in Tamilnadu. Soon it came to Mysuru the then capital and the seat of Mysore Maharaja. It was Dr. Joe Devadatta that brought the “Flame” to Mysuru during 1958. The seed was sown and the 1st EU started taking shape. The first EGF was formed during 1964 with the help of Br. Sathkeerthi Rao, Br. V M Kattapuram, Dr. Theodore Williams, Br. P C Varghese. During the first State Level EGF Conference during 1965 at the ETCM Hospital at Kolar, Lord gave the promise to establish and prosper the ministry among the university students through the book of Joshua 1:3 EVERY PLACE THAT THE SOLE OF YOUR FOOT SHALL TREAD UPON, I HAVE GIVEN TO YOU.
THE FLAME SPREADS: 1962- The flame that came to Mysuru from CMC, Vellore reached to Kolar and from there to Bengaluru with graduates like John Martin; Daniel Dawson, Jestin, Joyce Khanna, Mercy Ambrose, David Jambaiah, Vasantha & Prince, Kenny Jayachandran. The First EU in Bengaluru was formed during 1962. The Clarence School and the House of Worship on the Infantry Road were the hub of activities. The Graduates that toiled in Bengaluru were the virtual who is who of UESI like Mrs. & Mr. Peter Pothen; Earnest Victor; Sunny Zacharias et al.
During 1965 Nuka Rao a graduate from Andhra initiated the ministry among the students in Hassan. In 1968, the ministry took roots in NITK, Suratkal and Manipal with the help of DKA Jayachandran, seeing a remarkable growth. Mr. Earnest Victor, Dr Pamei & Dr Bailey initiated ministry in Hubli during 1969. Mr. Jagdish Prasad impacted Bhadravathi. Raichur, Bidar & Kalburgi came on to the map simultaneously in 1971 with Mrs. Gladys & Mr. Shadrack Peter and Mr. J Wilson. With the Michaels going in as Tentmakers at Kalaburagi, North belt became the seed-bed for well-nourished students and graduates. Ballary was lit by Dr Joanna Gurupadam. Br Joseph initiated ministry in Chikmagalur. But much work was done by the Tent-making couple – Vanaja and Jayasheel in Central regions and by Br Lawrence; Clara and Arul Jaya Prakash in the south-east Karnataka.
The Triennial Conferences were times for reflection of the faithfulness of the Lord, to move into the future with resoluteness. The first TC was held at Bengaluru in 1993.
The State was decentralized in 1991 when Bro. Dhanaraj was the President. Br. Shadrach Peter as the first State Secretary along with his wife Sis. Gladys were faithful in establishing the ministry for 13 long years both before and after Decentralization. Their house at Raichur was a mini Study Centre, training countless students impacting students and effective graduates/staff. Br Shadrach was followed by Vilbert Vallance & Shantha; Jayasheel & Vanaja and Shankar Babu who led the movement effectively. Now Br Ravi Antin is waiting in the wings to lead the ministry as the SS-Designate. During these 60 years, over 60 motivated persons toiled in this Vineyard as staff workers. Now, 4 Staff families, 2 single staff and 3 coordinators are in the field.
THE GROWTH & NOW:
The 60’s; the 70’s & the 80’s the growth chart was consistent with the promise of the Lord – EVERY PLACE THAT THE SOLE OF YOUR FOOT SHALL TREAD UPON, I HAVE GIVEN TO YOU. Decentralization brought stabilization in terms of structures and finances; but the growth did not keep pace. Effective second-generation leaders were not nurtured. The Vision imparting and its implications on the life and conduct of the person and the impact on the society around were not grasped. The cry of the students – critical Bible studies that equip them to face the fast-changing complexities of the campus and mentoring. Personal and small group dynamics is giving way to mass-meetings and preaching. Though a “Plan for Purposeful Progress” was unveiled during 1998, by the then GS, Br James Ratnaraj, and the present GOQSNL, the ministry in the campus has not grown as predicted.
The Family of UESI-Karnataka, the keepers of the Vineyard are pleading the LORD this year as we dig around it and fertilize it and PRAY the work entrusted to us may bear the fruit that is acceptable to HIM”
– UESI Karnataka, State Leaders